Over the Oxer Equestrian IEA Team
What is IEA?:
IEA stands for Interscholastic Equestrian Association. It is a national program formed with the purpose “to set minimum standards for competition, provide information concerning the creation and development of school associated equestrian sport programs, promote the common interests of safe riding instruction and competition and education on matters related to equestrian sport at the middle and secondary school levels.” The unique aspect of these competitions, both at the local and national level, is that none of the riders will supply their own horses or tack. Instead, the horses, saddle and other tack are provided to the students at the show. Though the rider and horse have a short opportunity at orientation in the over fences classes, essentially, the horse is new to the rider, and the scores are based upon horsemanship and equitation, not the horse.
IEA provides the opportunity for riders to horse show economically. IEA also promotes the team constituent to riding for an otherwise individualized sport. Over the Oxer Equestrian Team members must be in a weekly training program with Deanna Kravetz or another facility/trainer. Riders must be comfortable walking, trotting and cantering in a group of other riders on unfamiliar horses.
The objectives of IEA are:
- To promote the equestrian as an athlete
- To provide students with organized competitive opportunities
- To introduce new riders to equine sports
- To promote the IEA among middle and secondary schools
- To provide students with opportunities for further education equine sports and other equine-related matters
- To encourage liaison with other equestrian groups
- To provide information concerning the creation and development of school associated mounted and non-mounted equestrian programs
- To establish and enforce IEA rules, standards and policies
- To evolve with the continuing progress of equestrian sports
- To generally promote the common interests of safe riding instruction and competition and education on matters related to the horse industry and all segments thereof.